This warm and comforting pea soup is the perfect addition to a cold winter’s meal. Not only does this soup pack in 8 g of fibre, it also boasts 13 g of protein. Where does the protein come from, you ask? Peas! Although you might not think of peas as a protein source, they actually pack 8 g of protein per 1 cup serving.
This soup makes the perfect weeknight meal and can easily be made into a complete meal by pairing it with your favorite grilled sandwich.
- 1 tbsp Vegetable oil (olive, canola)
- 2 cups Onions, chopped
- 4 Cloves Garlic, pressed (or 2 tsp garlic powder)
- 2 cups White or yellow potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tsp Dried Mint
- ½ tsp Pepper, ground
- 5 cups Low/No-sodium vegetable broth
- 4 cups Green Peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup Bell Pepper, diced ( about 1 large) – red, yellow or orange
- In a large saucepan, warm oil over medium heat: toss in onions, garlic, potatoes, mint, salt and pepper. Stir occasionally until onions are soft (8 minutes).
- Add vegetable broth and peas. Bring mix to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until potatoes are soft when pierced with a fork (about 10 minutes).
- In batches, use a blender or food processor to puree soup until smooth. Strain if you prefer and serve sprinkled with diced bell pepper.
Nutrition Information: Per 2 cup serving
Calories: 238 / Total Fat: 5g (Saturated: 1g, Trans Fat 0g) / Sodium: 195mg / Carbohydrate: 39g (Fibre: 8g, Sugars: 10g) / Protein: 13g
Recipe by Jessica