Serves: 4-6 / Prep Time: 15-20 min / Cook Time: 20 min
This soup is loaded with fibre (7g/serving) and plant-based protein (12g/serving) thanks to black beans! The smooth, creamy texture comes from cashews blended with cauliflower which provide fibre and healthy fats. Often, vegan “creamy” soups load up on blended cashews as a base to provide the right texture and flavour – however, this can mean that they pack a high calorie punch due to extra fats (even healthy ones!) We used cauliflower to reduce the amount of cashews needed while keeping the right volume and texture. With the cauliflower and other veggies, one serving of soup has about 2 servings of vegetables!
We bet this soup would be even more delicious with more enchilada toppings like cheese, avocados, tortilla chips and salsa!
½-1 tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup green onions
2 cups vegetable broth
2 ½ cups cauliflower, chopped
½ cup cashews, soaked in boiling water
2 cups black beans
1 cup red pepper, chopped
1 cup zucchini, chopped
½ cup (170 mL) green chiles, canned
8 oz (2 cups) green enchilada sauce
1 tbsp red chile flakes
Crumbled tortilla chips
- Boil water in a kettle. Soak ½ cup cashews in a medium bowl with boiled water. Set aside.
- Add olive oil and garlic to a large soup pot and cook on medium until garlic is fragrant. Add green onions and cook another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add vegetable broth and cauliflower, bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce to medium head. With a slotted spoon, remove cauliflower and ½ cup of broth from the pot and place in a blender or food processor with green chiles.
- Drain soaked cashews and add to blender or food processor. Blend cauliflower, chiles, broth and cashews until creamy and smooth. Set aside.
- Add black beans, red pepper and zucchini to remaining broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Once the broth has boiled, reduce to medium heat and simmer. Stir in blended cauliflower, cashews, broth and chiles.
- Stir in enchilada sauce and red chile flakes. Let simmer another 10 minutes and serve immediately.
Nutrition Info (Based on 5 servings, without additional toppings)
Calories 248 / Fat 9.8 (Saturated Fat 1.8 g, Trans Fat 0g) Sodium 434.4mg/Carbohydrate 32.2g (Fibre 7.3g, Sugar 4.4g) / Protein 12.1g