These muffins will satisfy a chocolate craving any time of day!
These are a great source of whole grains and sweetened with dates and bananas – no added sugar! Greek yogurt and sunflower seed butter replace the oil and lend both protein and healthy fats to each muffin.
Muffins will keep on the counter for 2 – 3 days, or in the fridge for up to 5 – 7 days. Alternatively, individually wrap each muffin and freeze, taking them out as needed!
Makes: 12 Muffins / Prep time: 15-20 minutes / Total time: 30-35 minutes
Recipe adapted from Laura at www.tuttidolci.com
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup quick cooking oats
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 ½ cups mashed ripe bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup pitted dates, packed
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp sunflower seed butter
- Pre-heat oven to 350oF, line a 12-muffin pan with muffin papers.
- Soak dates in warm water for about 20-30 minutes.
- Whisk together whole wheat flour, quick oats, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix egg, vanilla and mashed ripe bananas.
- In a single-serve blender, blend dates with ¼ cup water until smooth.
- Add sunflower seed butter and Greek yogurt to blender and blend until smooth. Add contents of blender to the egg and banana mixture
- Pour liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Scoop about ¼ of batter into each muffin paper and bake for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Nutrition Information: Per Muffin:
Calories: 109 kcal / Fat: 2.5 g / Carbohydrate: 19.6 g (6.3 g sugar, 2.5 g fibre) / Protein: 3.8 g
Recipe by Lauren