Serves: 12 / Prep Time: 25 minutes / Cook Time: 25 minutes.
These rhubarb muffins are a delicious, in-season choice for spring and early summer! The candied ginger compliments the tartness of the rhubarb for a delicious and satisfying breakfast, snack or dessert.
We added very little sugar and oil to this recipe, maximizing the content of whole grains in each muffin. Candied ginger and applesauce provide some added sweetness to the recipe. These muffins are also high in protein with over 5 grams per muffin, thanks to the addition of egg whites! The combination of whole grains + protein mean these muffins will be both satisfying and filling. They also make a great travel snack!
What’s your favourite way to enjoy muffins?
1 ½ cups rhubarb, chopped
2 tbsp. water
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp honey
½ cup egg whites or 2 whole eggs
1 cup applesauce, unsweetened
½ cup milk (sub almond milk or soy milk)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
½ cup large-flake oats
¼ cup candied ginger, chopped into small pieces
1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
1 tbsp large-flake oats
1 tsp granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 325o Grease or spray muffin cups, or add paper liners*
- In a medium-sized pan, add rhubarb, 2 tbsp water, and sprinkle cinnamon over top (about ¼ tsp).
- Cover and cook over medium heat, just until rhubarb becomes soft (before it disintegrates and makes a stew). Set aside.
- Add honey to a large bowl and warm for 10 seconds in the microwave, until runny. Add olive oil and whisk until combined. Add egg whites and beat well.
- Mix in applesauce and coconut milk, followed by baking soda, vanilla, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Add flour and oats to a medium-sized bowl, mix in candied ginger pieces. Add the dry mix to the wet mix and stir until just combined.
- Stir in rhubarb. Divide batter evenly into 12 muffin cups and bake at 325oF for about 25 minutes, until muffins are firm.
*For recipes like this that use less oil, parchment paper muffin cups are fantastic to avoid your muffins sticking to the paper!
Calories 149 / Fat 4.0 g (Saturated fat 0.6g, Trans fat 0g) / Sodium 223.1mg (Carbohydrate 23.6g / Fibre 2.5g, Sugar 6.2 g) Protein 5.2g