This granola is a great alternative to store-bought varieties. Even healthier brands of granola and cereal are highly processed and need to have preservatives added in order to make it onto your shelf. This recipe is equally (if not more) delicious than store-bought versions, is customizable and you know exactly what’s going in! This version of the recipe has berries and coconut, but there are endless substitution possibilities for different flavours!
The buckwheat groats in this recipe give a great crunch to this granola recipe! The coconut butter and large coconut flakes really bring out the coconut flavour. This recipe is also sweetened with dates, which means there is no added sugar! This version of the recipe is also completely nut-free, making it a school-safe snack.
You will love this crunchy, coconut-y, and fruity granola. Use it as a topping for oatmeal & yogurt, or simply enjoy as a snack on its own.
2 cups large-flake oats
1 ¼ cups buckwheat groats
1 cup pumpkin seeds
½ cup sunflower seeds
1 cup large coconut flakes
1 tsp cinnamon
¾ cup dried mixed berries
¼ cup dried golden figs, chopped
1 cup applesauce, unsweetened
1/3 cup Medjool dates, packed
¼ cup coconut butter, melted
½ tsp vanilla extract
- Mix all dry ingredients, except coconut flakes, together in a large bowl.
- Blend dates and applesauce in a blender until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in coconut butter and vanilla.
- Add liquid mixture to dry mixture and mix until combined.
- Bake at 350o for 30 minutes or until golden brown, stirring twice.
- When granola is cooled, add in apricots, figs and the coconut chips.
- Allow to cool for several hours before storing.
Optional Add-Ins or Substitutions*:
- Any type of nut for any type of seed and/or large coconut flakes
- Nut or seed butters for coconut butter
- Any other pureed fruit (banana, pear, etc.) for unsweetened apple sauce
- Any dried fruit for mixed betties and golden figs
*Add-ins and substitutions will alter the nutrition information slightly
Nutrition Information: 2 TBSP
Calories: 79 / Fat: 3.7 g / Carbohydrate: 10.8 g (3.9 g sugar, 1.8 g fibre) / Protein: 2.2 g
Recipe by Lauren