Yogurt cheese is a delicious health food that everyone should learn how to prepare. Not only is it easy to make, but the flavour combinations and uses for yogurt cheese are endless!
1. Start by lining a large strainer with a coffee filter or 2 layers of cheese cloth. The strainer should be placed inside another bowl to catch the liquid that drains from the yogurt.
2. Pour the Plain, No-Fat Yogurt into the filter.
3. Place in the refrigerator and allow the yogurt to drain for 3 to 12 hours depending on the desired consistency. The longer it drains, the firmer the yogurt cheese will be.
- Draining overnight will give you a soft cream cheese-like consistency.
- 1 cup of yogurt will drain to make approximately 1/3 cup of yogurt cheese.
- Yogurt cheese should be stored in the refrigerator and will keep for about one week.
- Use yogurt cheese instead of commercial cream cheese!
- To make home-made dips and spreads combine yogurt cheese with flavourful ingredients like garlic, herbs, peppers and spices.
Per ¼ cup yogurt cheese made with 0% milk fat yogurt: 60 calories, 6 g protein, 0 g fat (0g saturated fat), 10g carbohydrate, 0g fibre, 5 mg chol, 75 mg sodium
Exchanges: 1 Milk & Yogurt