No time for breakfast? No problem! Simply throw this into the slow cooker before going to bed, and wake up to a hot breakfast. Steel cut oatmeal is high in fibre and will keep you feeling full and satisfied until lunch hour rolls around.
You can also make this recipe ahead and individually portion each serving of oatmeal. This recipe will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Serves: 8 / Prep Time: 10 minutes / Cook Time: 7-8 hours
- 1 Tbsp. Non-Hydrogenated Margarine (or vegetable oil of choice)
- 8 ½ cups Water
- 2 cups Steel Cut Oats
- 1 ½ cups Skim Milk (or dairy-free, unsweetened alternative)
- 2 Tbsp. Ground Flax
- ¼ cup Honey or Maple Syrup
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Coat the inside of the slow cooker with non-hydrogenated margarine or vegetable oil.
- Add in all ingredients, except vanilla extract, and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- Add vanilla extract and desired toppings (such as fresh fruit) at time of serving. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information (NOT including added toppings): 1/8th of recipe
Calories: 209 / Fat: 4 g / Carbohydrate: 36 g (4 g fibre, 9 g sugar) / Protein: 7 g
Recipe by Amanda