Summer is officially here, and that means the season of delicious, refreshing treats has arrived!
When we’re looking for a healthier frozen treat, one of our favourite things to make is Banana Ice Cream – Soft serve-style ice cream made entirely from bananas! The most basic recipe uses bananas only as its base, blending frozen banana chunks in a food processor until smooth and creamy. From there, we added almond butter, vanilla and cinnamon for some extra flavour! We also have 3 flavour variations: Salted Chocolate Peanut Butter [featured in our photo], Simple Strawberry, and Mocha Chip. Feel free to get creative and add your own flavours! Using bananas as an ice cream base means a lot more natural sugars, fibre, and nutrients packed into your frozen treat! Who can say no to that?
You can certainly freeze this recipe for later, however it’s best enjoyed fresh so invite some friends over for an ice cream tasting! We found this recipe made about 5 servings on average of about 1/2 cup. This recipe also makes for delicious Popsicle – just add to Popsicle molds, freeze and enjoy.
If you’ve never made banana ice cream before, check out our simple graphic on what your bananas should look like as you blend them in your food processor:
What’s your favourite flavour of ice cream??
4 medium, ripe bananas (about 4 cups), sliced and frozen
2 tbsp. almond butter
¼ tsp. vanilla
¼ tsp. cinnamon
2-4 tbsp. milk of choice
- Add all ingredients to food processor (start with 2 tbsp. of milk).
- Blend on high. You will need to pause and scrape down the sides/pack bananas back down to the bottom of the food processor occasionally. If your bananas are really stuck, add in additional 2 tbsp of milk. Continue until mixture is creamy and smooth.
- Add any mix-ins required for blending.
- Serve and enjoy!
Calories: 123.6 calories / Fat 4.0g (Saturated Fat 0.5g, Trans Fat 0.0g) / Sodium 1.6mg / Carbohydrate 22.9g (Fibre 1.9g, Sugar 11.5g) / Protein 2.0g
Salted Chocolate Peanut Butter:
- Add 2 tbsp cocoa powder and ¼ tsp salt to mixture during blending process (omit cinnamon).
- Sub almond butter for peanut butter.
- Top with an additional ½ tbsp peanut butter + ½ tbsp chocolate chips
Calories: 201.2 calories / Fat 9.9g (Saturated Fat 2.4g, Trans Fat 0.0g) / Sodium 156.7mg / Carbohydrate 29.1g (Fibre 3.3g, Sugar 15.2g) / Protein 4.6g
- Replace 1 frozen banana with 1 cup frozen strawberries.
- Stir in ½ cup frozen strawberry chunks after blending.
Calories: 118.2 / Fat 4.0g (Saturated Fat 0.4g, Trans Fat 0.0g) / Sodium 2.3mg / Carbohydrate 21.6g (Fibre 2.2g, Sugar 10.7g) / Protein 1.9g
- Substitute milk of choice for 2 oz brewed espresso or coffee.
- Add 2 tbsp cocoa powder while blending.
- Add ¼ cup chocolate chips after blending, stir to combine (omit cinnamon).
Calories: 168.8 calories / Fat 6.8g (Saturated Fat 2.1g, Trans Fat 0.0g) / Sodium 3.2mg / Carbohydrate 29.5g (Fibre 3.1g, Sugar 16.2g) / Protein 2.8g