Preparing your own at home allows you to add more vegetables and use less oil, which helps to reduce the fat content and save you calories.
Don’t be afraid to experiment with using different vegetables or trialing different protein sources like shrimp or chicken breast in this recipe.
Serves: 4 / Prep Time: 15 minutes / Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 3 tbsp. Lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 3 tbsp. Asian fish sauce
- 2 tbsp. Ketchup
- 2 tbsp. Brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. Ginger root
- 1 tbsp. Reduced – sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp Sesame oil, toasted
- ¼ tsp Hot pepper sauce
- 8 oz. Rice stick noodles
- 2 tsp Peanut or vegetable oil
- ½ cup Red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp Garlic, minced
- 1 cup Extra-firm tofu, diced
- 1 medium Red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cups Bean sprouts
- ½ cup Green onion, chopped
- ¼ cup Fresh cilantro
- Gather all ingredients as this comes together quickly!
- First whisk together lime juice, fish sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, gingerroot, soy sauce, sesame oil, and red pepper flakes in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Place rice noodles in a large bowl and pour boiling water over top. Let soak 7 minutes.
- While noodles are soaking, heat peanut oil in a large, non-stick wok. Add onions and garlic. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until onions are tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add red pepper and cook 2 more minutes, stirring often. Add tofu. Cook about 3 minutes. Add reserved sauce, noodles, bean sprouts, green onions and cilantro. Toss and cook until mixture is hot, about 1 minute.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information: For ¼ of the recipe
Calories: 192 / Total Fat: 5.4 g / Sodium: 696mg / Carbohydrate: 33g (Fibre 1.2g)/ Protein: 8.6g