Serves 2-4 / Prep Time: 30 min
These spring rolls are fresh, light and perfect for warmer weather!
This recipe works as an appetizer (serves 4) or in a meal (serves 2) alongside a salad or roasted veggies. Don’t be intimidated by the ingredient list and lengthy instructions! These salad rolls actually come together very quickly, in about 30 minutes, and are definitely worth the extra steps.
While we love tahini dipping sauce, feel free to experiment with other nut or seed butters like peanut butter or cashew butter for different flavours. This recipe is easily made vegan or vegetarian by subbing shrimp with tofu or chickpeas – we’ve tried both! Since this recipe relies a little more on soy sauce, feel free to cut the amount half and half with water or rice vinegar if you’re watching your sodium intake.
First time making salad rolls? Check out our visual guide:
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp sesame oil
16 shrimp, tails removed
8 sheets of rice paper (22cm)
1 tbsp soy sauce (low-sodium)
2-3 tsp Sriracha, to taste
1 cup cucumber, julienned
1 cup carrots, julienned
½ large avocado, sliced length-wise into 8 pieces
1-2 large leafs Romaine lettuce, torn into 8 pieces
Optional: Fresh basil or cilantro leaves
Tahini Dipping Sauce:
2 tbsp. soy sauce (low-sodium)
1 tbsp. rice vinegar
1 tbsp. hoisin sauce
2 tbsp. tahini
1 tsp chili flakes
1 tsp garlic powder
For the Tahini Dipping Sauce:
- Mix all ingredients into a small bowl
- Whisk together and set aside.
For the Salad Rolls:
- Add minced garlic to a small pan with 1 tsp sesame oil. Heat over medium-high until garlic becomes fragrant. Add shrimp, soy sauce and Sriracha and stir to mix. Let simmer another 3-5 minutes until shrimp are cooked (no longer translucent).
- Make 8 groups of salad roll ingredients for quick assembly:
- One lettuce leaf
- 2 tbsp. each cucumber and carrots
- 1 slice avocado
- Fresh basil or cilantro, if using
- For each salad roll:
- Soak one sheet of rice paper in warm water about 2cm deep (a baking sheet or large cake pan work well for this) until the rice paper becomes soft and flexible. You should no longer be able to feel the ridges and the rice paper should feel smooth to touch.
- Remove rice paper from the water and lay flat on a plate, stretching slightly to avoid folding
- Add 2 shrimp, plus the ingredients you have already grouped together.
- Rolling: Bring one side of the rice paper over length-wise. Fold up the top and bottom, then wrap the other side of the rice paper around the roll. Set aside on a clean plate.
- Repeat 7 times until you have 8 rolls ready to go!
Salad Rolls (2 rolls, 1/4 recipe):
Calories 165 / Fat 5.2g (Saturated Fat 0.8g, Trans Fat 0g) / Sodium 489.8mg / Carbohydrate 77.2g (Fibre 2.8g, Sugar 2.3g) Protein 6.5g
Tahini Dipping Sauce (1/4 recipe):
Calories 62 / Fat 4.2g (Saturated Fat 0.6g, Trans Fat 0g) / Sodium 338.9mg / Carbohydrate 4.7g (Fibre 1.0g, Sugar 1.4g) Protein 2.0g