Serves: 5 / Prep Time: 30 min / Total Time: 50 min
These enchiladas make a fantastic meal prep recipe! In under an hour, and with even less prep time, you’ll have dinner for the family or a meal ready for each day of the week ahead!
We added some extra spice to this recipe with cayenne pepper and jalepenos, but if you’re not a fan of the heat, feel free to choose just one or omit these all together!
The best part of this recipe is definitely the mango! It adds some sweetness to balance out the spice and compliments the enchilada flavours perfectly, without overpowering the recipe. Even if you’re not sure, we strongly encourage you to give it a try – you won’t be disappointed! If slicing a mango makes you a little nervous (they can be quite tricky), check out this video guide to help you out.
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ large or 1 small yellow onion, diced
2 chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 medium-sized red mango
3 cups baby spinach, loosely packed
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 jalapeno pepper, diced (seeds removed to decrease spice level)
1 tsp cayenne pepper (omit if you don’t like spice!)
1 – 5.5 oz (156mL) can no salt added tomato paste
1 – 8 oz package red Enchilada sauce (we used Frontera)
5 large whole-wheat tortilla wraps
1 avocado, sliced (for serving)
- Preheat oven to 350o
- In a medium-large pan, sautee garlic over medium-high with olive oil until fragrant. Add onion, sautee until slightly cooked and translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add chicken breast and stir to combine. If ingredients are sticking to the pan, add 2 tbsp of water. Cover, reduce to medium and let cook until chicken is almost fully cooked and white around the edges.
- While you wait, add enchilada sauce to tomato paste in a separate bowl and stir to combine.
- To the pan, add mushrooms, jalepeno peppers, cayenne pepper, and baby spinach. Stir to combine until spinach has wilted.
- In a 9 x 13” baking dish, add about ½ cup of enchilada sauce mixture, enough to cover the bottom of the dish.
- To your chicken mixture, add about 1 cup of enchilada sauce mixture, making sure you have at least ½ to 1 cup leftover. Add mango to the chicken mixture, stir to combine.
- On a plate, lay flat one tortilla. Add about ¾ cup of chicken mixture and fold to wrap. Place the wrap in your baking dish so that the side you folded up last is facing down. Repeat until you’ve used all your tortillas.
- Once all your tortillas are lined up in your baking dish, use the remaining enchilada sauce to cover the top of your tortillas.
- Bake at 350oF for 15-20 minutes.
- Top with avocado slices upon serving and enjoy! These also freeze perfectly – just place each enchilada in a separate container and reheat as needed.
Calories 391.5 / Fat 12.1g (Saturated Fat 2.3g, Trans Fat 0g) / Cholesterol 39.2mg / Sodium 340mg / Carbohydrate 49.5g (Fibre 7.2g, Sugar 12.9g) / Protein 22.9g