Serves 10-12 (1.5 cup servings)
1 lb ground chicken or turkey (raw, extra-lean)
1 medium onion, chopped
½ tbsp. olive oil
1 can or 1.5 cups black beans
1.5 cups kidney beans
2-14 oz cans diced tomatoes (no salt added)
2 cups butternut squash, cubed
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup green peppers, chopped
2 cups kale, chopped
2 small jalepeno peppers, chopped and seeds/pith removed
1 tbsp chili powder
½ tbsp. chili flakes
1. Place 1 lb ground chicken in a frying pan with ½ inch water on the bottom. Cook on Med-High, slowly breaking up chicken, until browned and cooked through. If you start with frozen chicken, let simmer in water with the lid on for about 5 minutes before you start trying to break it up.
2. While you’re waiting for the chicken to cook, get started on chopping the rest of your ingredients and opening cans.
3. In a large pot, add chopped onion and ½ tbsp. olive oil. Once chicken is cooked, cook onion on med-high for about 3 minutes, until slightly soft. Add chicken and stir. Let cook another 2-3 minutes until onions are slightly brown.
4. Add in black beans and kidney beans, stir to mix. Add in chili powder and stir again to coat the ingredients.
5. Add in 2 cans of diced tomatoes, butternut squash, and celery. Stir to mix, cover and cook on high until the ingredients are at a rolling boil. Uncover and reduce to med-high.
6. Add in green peppers, kale, jalepeno peppers and chili flakes. Let simmer another 15 minutes or until butternut squash is soft (easy to pierce with a fork).
7. Serve immediately. Will keep in the fridge up to 5 days, or in the freezer up to 3 months. Cool in shallow containers before storing.
Nutrition Information: 1/10 of recipe: